search

whole wheat banana oatmeal muffins

Parents today are more excited than ever about providing their children with not just healthy but incredible tasting food choices.  We’ve all begun to read the ingredient lists on the back of the boxes in the grocery store snack food aisle and although some companies are trying harder to make healthier products there is no denying that a homemade snack is what’s best for our little ones.  With the ongoing chatter about the possible side effects of some preservatives along with a general sense that natural has got to be better, moms and dads are talking more and more about what they want to feed their kids.

Still, even with the best intentions it can be overwhelming to push your cart past those easy snack choices.  It might seem far easier to plunk a few boxes of factory made granola bars and fruit snacks into your shopping bags than to grab healthy ingredients and make something yourself. Granted, until you get a bit of a groove going, it might actually seem like and be more work.  But making your own snacks for your kids will soon take very little of your free time.  Muffins are a great place to start!  There’s not much easier in the baking world!

preheat oven to 400°F (200C)

dry ingredients:
2c whole wheat flour
1c rolled oats
1/4c brown sugar
2tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt

wet ingredients:

2 eggs (organic, free range, farm fresh if you can get them!)
1/4c canola oil (substitution idea: same amount unsweetened applesauce)
1/4c milk (cow’s milk or soy)
3 medium mashed bananas

what to do:
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.

Combine wet ingredients in another bowl (whisk the eggs a little first).

Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients in whichever bowl is bigger. Stir just to moisten – it’s going to be a bit lumpy and that’s just fine.

Spoon into greased muffin tins (size of your choosing) about 3/4 full.

Mini muffins: bake for about 12 minutes at 400F
Regular size muffins: bake for 20-25 minutes at 400F

Suggestion: you can add all sorts of things to this recipe to give it a new spin. Try ground flax, wheat germ, blueberries, strawberries, raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and so on!

Suggestion: muffins are an easy enough recipe to let kids join in on the fun. Give them jobs to do depending on their age. Toddlers can stir the dry ingredients while you prepare the wet. Early years school aged children can handle pouring in addition to stirring – and this is a great time to teach them about measurements. Older kids can be be supervised to handle most of the work themselves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • Share/Bookmark

10 Responses to “whole wheat banana oatmeal muffins”

1. chandra says:

Yummy!!!

2. Kirsty says:

These muffins were good, but I felt like they were missing something…I might try adding vanilla extract next time. The texture was really great though, and I loved the addition of the oats.

3. Ann says:

These came out a bit dry. And I agree with Kirsty, they could use a bit of vanilla extract. I noticed on a number of other muffin recipes that the ratio is 1 cup ww flour….perhaps cut down on the flour?

4. Sunny Autumn says:

I just pulled a batch of these out of the oven & they look fantastic!
    I substituted apple sauce for oil. Since my bananas were a little small my batter was a little too dry so I added about a 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. Spiced ‘em up a little with some cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & vanilla extract. Can’t wait to try them!

5. Natalie says:

Gorgeous, thank you so much for the recipe! and healthy-ish too!
    These are definitely breakfast muffins, but glad I decided to make them as I was tiring of eating oatmeal/fruit salads every morning, AND i had a few brown bananas to use up.

I only had vegetable oil so used that instead of canola, and I used 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk.
    Also used 2 tsp vanilla extract and 2-3 tsp cinnamon – the more the better in my opinion, especially with the wheat flour & oats…they can overpower all other tastes.
    I added blueberries – I think they gave the muffins a better flavour and definitely added moisture.

6. JT says:

I tried this recipe today and it came out dry. I followed the measurements to a T. What could I have done wrong?

7. denice johnson says:

Oven temperatures vary so maybe you just need to lower the temp? I found that I need to cook muffins and breads for less time with my new oven so perhaps lower temp or less time would work for you? Keep an eye on them while baking and check with a toothpick when they start to look golden on top. Let me know how it goes!

8. Salima says:

I added 2.5 tsp of cinnamon, 2 tsp of vanilla after reading Natalie’s comment. I also added blueberries and for added moisture I used 4 bananas instead of 3 and it really helped with the dryness. I had previously made these with the 3 bananas and it did come out kinda dry. The cinnamon and vanilla really gave it some good flavour as well. They came out really delicious :)

9. Salima says:

I forgot to mention I also used olive oil for health benefits and with all the strong flavours I couldn’t even taste the difference.

10. denice johnson says:

Thanks for the comment :) Glad you enjoyed these muffins. As for dryness, adding another banana is a great idea and I would also suggest lower oven temperature or shortening baking time. My current oven requires that I shorten baking time on almost everything!

I’ll have to try adding cinnamon and vanilla myself! Thanks for the suggestions :)